Warm Winter Bike Tour—California Desert Escape
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average daily mileage?
Daily mileage will vary, and there will be options to ride less or more each day. The range is estimated to be 25-66 miles.
What is included in the price of the trip?
- Use of a quality lightweight road bike
- Five nights lodging
- Five breakfasts
- Five dinners
- Snacks and beverages during and after the rides
- Daily route sheets and maps
- One or two tour leaders (two leaders for 6 or more guests)
- SAG support (support vehicle on the bike route)
- Mechanical support for minor bike repairs
What isn't included?
- Transportation to Palm Springs at the beginning of the trip
- Transportation from Indian Wells at the end of the trip
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Lunches (we recommend places to stop for lunch on the ride route, at your leisure)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Hotel charges for incidentals (phone calls, etc.)
- Gratuities to guides at your discretion
What is the weather going to be like?
While it’s always difficult to predict the weather, the temperatures tend to be mild, and rain tends to be sparse. In the desert of Borrego Springs, it rains an average of 2 days per month in February, the average high is 74F, and the average low is 47F. Evenings and early mornings in the desert can be quite cool, and there is one climb over a 4,000 ft. pass, so please bring warm clothing.
What type of dining will we be doing?
When researching a trip, we seek out dining options with healthy, fresh choices typical of the California cuisine style of cooking.
Rest assured that nobody goes hungry on an Undiscovered Country trip! One of the joys of riding several hours per day is getting to enjoy the dinner afterwards. Feel free to order anything on the menu. The only thing that isn't incuded is alcohol.
Breakfasts are either continental style or made to order.
Where do we meet at the start of the trip?
We gather on the first morning of the trip in Palm Springs, at the Renaissance Palm Springs, conveniently located near the Palm Springs Airport.
Where does the trip end?
The trip officially ends in the mid-afternoon on the last day, at the Miramonte Resort in Palm Springs.
What should I bring?
Cycling shorts, cycling jerseys, cycling socks, cycling shoes, gloves, helmet (mandatory), wind jacket or vest, rain gear (jacket, pants, helmet cover, shoe covers), sunglasses. For colder weather: arm warmers, knee/leg warmers or tights, full fingered gloves, shoe covers, beanie.
Hat, bathing suit, sweater or jacket, comfortable shoes, casual evening wear.
Sunscreen, lip balm, prescription medicines, chamois cream, toiletries, identification, medical insurance card.